The parents of a seven-month-old baby from Kansas, USA, were shocked when they took their daughter to the hospital. Having noticed a redness in their child’s neck, they immediately sought the advice of a doctor to know the cause.
The story of Mya Whittington, a 7-month-old baby, has caught many doctors who are still stunned to this day. When Mya’s parents notice a blush on the bottom of her cheek, they go to the hospital and ask the medical staff to intervene. The doctor who received them thinks of a ganglion and advocates a treatment of antibiotics. Mya and her parents then go home feeling relieved and ready to start medication.
However, they had no effect and the next day Mya’s cheek was more swollen than the day before and on the blush appeared a button. The parents then decided to take her back to the hospital immediately because they were worried about the condition of their daughter and wanted to know the real reason.
Once there, Mya was greeted by another doctor who tried to pierce the button on his cheek to empty it of his pus, but to no avail. A few hours later, another doctor intervened and tried to clean the affected area somehow. He surrounded the blush of a blue marker and then advised them to go home and carefully observe the situation. If the blush went beyond the mark, they had to immediately bring Mya back to the hospital, but in the meantime they could not do much.
Once back home, Mya’s grandmother, who had come to visit them, noticed something strange on her granddaughter’s cheek. It seemed that a kind of outgrowth was appearing. Faced with this, Mya’s parents took her to the hospital again, completely distraught. At the sight of this strange thrust, the doctors immediately thought of a case of staphylococcus. Mya’s mother had actually noticed that her daughter was constantly pulling on her cheek but she was thinking of a dental flare, she was far from imagining that her daughter could suffer from such an infection.
The doctors then decide to keep her under observation to administer the appropriate treatment. But it was not counting on what would follow. A few moments later, they noticed that it was not an excrescence and even less a button, it was a feather that was coming out of the cheek of their daughter! Everyone present was shocked, even the medical staff for whom it was a first. The pediatrician, despite his great surprise, gently removed a feather 5 centimeters from Mya’s cheek. In his career as a doctor, he would never have thought of witnessing such a medical case.
After consultation, all the doctors who intervened on the case of Mya came to the same conclusion, according to them it is very likely that she breathed or swallowed the feather during a walk outside and it remained stuck in his throat. The body then tried to expel this foreign body by any means. As bizarre as it may seem, the feather is pulled out by the lower part of the cheek instead of coming out through the mouth.
According to them, the ingestion of the pen was not recent, and between the time Mya swallowed it and the time she expelled it several months have passed. This phenomenon must have been painful and embarrassing for the baby. Except for the fact that she often touched her cheek, there was no reason to believe that she endured such an ordeal because she seemed quite “normal” until the appearance of redness.
She did not complain and showed no signs of pain or discomfort. For a baby her age, pulling her face was not so alarming because it was the time of the dental flare. Her mother, Emma Whittington, also suspected an ear inflammation but would never have thought it could be a feather.