Massage is probably the best way to relax and unwind. It also helps maintain good health by ensuring the proper functioning of organs. Massaging your feet before going to bed helps relieve tension and soothe pains. Practicing a foot massage before sleeping has many health benefits. Explanations.
Foot massage: a technique inspired by plantar reflexology
According to plantar reflexology, different parts (or points of the feet) are connected to different organs of the human body. Indeed, the soles of the feet represent the whole body. The arch massage is a massage technique widely used in Chinese medicine.
It is based on the principle of meridians: the body is divided into 12 meridians that connect the organs of the human body and allow to circulate the energy flow, to ensure its balance. Therefore, the massage of certain precise points of the foot will allow to stimulate this vital energy. If you massage your feet before sleep, you will soon see the benefits on your body and health.
Here are the benefits of foot massage:
• Stimulate the blood circulation
• Ensure proper functioning of organs
• Relieve restless legs syndrome
• Stimulate the production of sweat
• Eliminate lactic acid
• Prevent and cure many symptoms such as headaches, stress, asthma, constipation, sinusitis and migraine
• During pregnancy, it reduces edema (water retention, swollen feet, etc.)
• Facilitate digestion
• Accelerate the flow of blood through tissues
• Improve metabolism
• Stretch and relieve muscles
• Improve the appearance and quality of the skin
• Improve blood circulation and the lymphatic system
• Relieve pain and stiffness after intense physical exertion
Many clinical studies on the effects of plantar reflexology have been conducted in recent years. Two of them highlighted the effects of foot massage on women with breast cancer to counteract the side effects of chemotherapy. In the first study, the researchers demonstrated that foot massage reduced symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and fatigue compared to the control group.
In the second, the researchers demonstrated the effects of reflexology after a mastectomy (surgery that consists of a partial or total removal of the breast). It seems that this technique of massage gives good results post-surgery by improving the quality of life of the people affected.
To massage your feet, choose a cream, lotion or oil. These products will make the massage even more pleasant while treating the calluses under the soles of the feet. The treatment will be more effective if the massage lasts between 10 to 15 minutes.